Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Jim Furyk Wins Tour Championship, Banks Cool $11.35 Million

Filed under: ,

Jim FurykATLANTA -- Jim Furyk's 2 1/2-foot putt for par and $11.35 million rolled straight and true into the cup on the 72nd hole of the Tour Championship Sunday afternoon.

With his cap turned backward to combat the annoying drip of a steady afternoon rain -- a look that was anything but hip -- Furyk calmly reached into the cup to retrieve his golf ball before popping upright to fire it with Brett Favre velocity into the stands. He raised both arms into the air and marched off the green like a conquering hero.

"I remember knocking the putt in and picking it out of the hole, and I was thinking, 'What am I doing?' I hit it, and I knew it was in the middle, and I'm taking a step to pick it up as it's going in, and it just hit me. I was excited and dropped the putter and you know, I don't know. I guess at that moment you're not really responsible for what happens next, you just go with whatever happens."

Considering the significance of the moment -- monetarily if not historically -- the reaction might be considered somewhat muted.

Furyk came to the FedEx Cup and, well, delivered.

And while it may not have been overnight, it did arrive with great style.

On the strength of a final-round, even-par 70 Furyk finished 8 under to not only claim the Tour Championship by one stroke over Luke Donald but also commandeer the $10 million playoff bonus.

 

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

Natassia Malthe Nelly Furtado Nichole Robinson Nicky Hilton Nicole Richie

No comments:

Post a Comment